Every Building Is A Classroom is a soon-to-be piloted new software platform for the Solomon Islands, built to improve the delivery of education and training opportunities to young Solomon Islanders.
The platform makes discoverable and bookable non-residential buildings across the country that can be used for formal and informal education and training activities.
See an early demo version of the platform
To view an early stage demo of the platform click here.
You will be required to enter
- Username - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password - demo
Note that data is for demonstration purposes only and not to be used for booking. Major additional feature not shown on the demo site is the ability to search and filter by building attributes (see example below)
Attributes filtering feature
Once Every Building Is A Classroom launches
Domestic and international education and training providers can discover and book appropriate facilities,
- e.g. universities, NGOs delivering literacy workshops, Government providing health training
Relevant stakeholders such as domestic government (national and provincial), international donors and NGOs, local NGOs and the private sector can visualise and identify interventions to improve building and classroom infrastructure,
- e.g. installation of toilets and running water, WiFi, electricity, accessibility ramps
The platform will also
- List Service providers who can assist those booking and improving buildings with implementation, e.g. mobile electricity generation and WiFi units, accommodation, catering, transport
- Generate new sources of income for building owners & operators
Join our pilot
We will be piloting the platform in 4 or 5 locations across the Solomon Islands between March to June 2020.
We are seeking a small group (5-7) of domestic and international education and training providers (especially those with programs for women and girls) and stakeholders (2-3) who are interested in improving infrastructure to participate in the pilot.
Email us here to express your interest email@example.com
List a building
If you know of non-residential buildings in the Solomon Islands that have spare capacity to be booked for education and training activities, we’d love to list them on the platform.
To submit a building for the platform, click here
Minimum info required is physical location (coordinates), address you'd give someone to find it, and a contact name and phone number to book the building.
Other ways to get involved
- Talk to us about using the platform in Solomon Islands - or other countries in the Asia-Pacific - if your organisation delivers, supports or invests in:
- Education and training activities, especially for women and girls;
- Infrastructure projects including water and sanitation, disability access, energy, Internet
- Invest with us in expanding the platform’s features and countries of operation
- Talk to us about how we might work together on this or similar projects
- Tell people about the Every Building Is A Classroom project
- Connect with us on social media to hear more about the project and projects like this.
Technology For Development Challenge Winner
This project was one of 4 winners of the inaugural Australia Solomon Islands ‘Technology for Development Innovation Challenge’, run through DFAT’s Cyber Affairs department, in April 2019. See here for more information and background.
Common Code receives Technology for Development Challenge Award from Dr Tobias Feakin, The Ambassador for Cyber Affairs, in Honiara (April 2019)